Board service is a gift and a privilege. Do we make it sound as such? Here are some questions you should ask in a board interview to get the best possible board members.
- What do you know about our organisation? What more would you like to know? Why are you interested in committing your time and energy to us?
- What do you think are the characteristics of a great board member? Which ones do you demonstrate?
- Having known the minimum level of time required to serve on the board, can you make a commitment to board service?
- Can you tell us about your previous board (or committee) experience ? What were the comfort levels? What were the success touch points? Which ones do you think you can use here?
- There will be some activity between board meetings. Would you be willing to commit to beyond just attending board meetings?
- Board members bring experience, wisdom, and strategic thinking. How would you like to utilise yours?
- What would help make this a really great experience for you?