Can a marriage ever be perfect? How can the partners come pretty close to the idea? Is the purpose of marriage closeness? Are the partners expected to meet every need each other has got? A recent survey of thousands of married couples highlights areas for unhappiness which hold lessons for leadership partnerships.
Ten reasons why people said they were unhappy
1. They didn’t think alike in many areas
2. They had little insight into each others feelings
3. They said hurtful things to one another
4. They felt unloved
5. They felt taken for granted
6. They lacked someone to confide in
7. Each felt he or she was giving more than the other
8. They rarely complimented each other
9. They desired more affection
10. They couldn’t talk to each other
One of the secrets to happiness in marriage isn’t finding the right person, it is becoming the right person. Another is not simply to marry someone is can live with, it is to marry someone you can’t live without.
Look out for more in the next post