“It’s Your Decision” guidance issued by The Charity Commission in England and Wales on decision making for charity trustees tops my list of must-use guidance. Not only will following the principles protect trustees, they cover practicalities and lead to more informed decisions . The practicalities provide a steer in how to make sure meetings are properly conducted, how decisions can be accurately recorded and what trustees can do if they do not agree. The boards utilising this guidance have noted an increase in trustees’ confidence when making decisions.
Seven Sound Decisions Making Strategies
- Act within your powers
- Act in good faith, and only in the interests of your charity
- Make sure you are sufficiently informed, taking any advice you need
- Take account of all relevant factors
- Ignore any irrelevant factors
- Manage conflicts of interest
- Make decisions that are within the range of decisions that a reasonable trustee body could make in the circumstances.
Visit www.charitycommission.gov.uk to download a copy of the guidance
“Its Your Decision”.